Saturday, December 15, 2012

Goodbye Washington










Matt and I had the best day in Washington DC last Saturday. It was partially an early celebration of our 6th anniversary, and a farewell tour of our favorite places in the city. We wandered around Georgetown, and grabbed some really good coffee and special gluten free treats at Baked and Wired (our favorite bakery in DC! If you're ever in the city and craving something sweet, you should totally go! The employees are sweet too!)

We watched the ice skaters at Washington Harbor. We finally, after months (years?) of wanting to try it, toured the International Spy Museum (it wasn't as cool as I was hoping but I'm glad we finally went.) We ate paella at Bodega back in Georgetown, and finished the evening off by taking in the Christmas decorations and lights.

I felt just a little sad the whole day, with the thought always in the back of my head that it might be a very long time before I visit DC again. I've kind of come to think of it as "my" city over the last 10 years of living so close, and I wonder how long it will take for me the feel the same about our new city?

I really do love Washington and it holds so many precious, sentimental memories for Matt and I. It's truly a beautiful city. I still well up inside when we drive past the monuments and stately architecture and always, always feel blessed to have gotten the chance to live so close to all the history of the area. We've been to the majority of the museums, enjoyed the National Zoo several times, mastered the metro and have sampled gluten free cupcakes from probably every bakery in the city. *wink.*

Ah, I'm going to miss you DC. I'm already looking forward to coming back and visiting in the hopefully not too distant future. 
XOX


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note! I'd love to hear from you!