Monday, May 6, 2013

What I Do.

Today's prompt is "if you couldn't answer with your job, how would you answer "what do you do?"

(I had plans for a fun "picture-an-hour" post, (a kind of "day in the life" kind of thing) but I was at the doctor with Olive all morning. She has pneumonia and an ear infection and I've been waging war against her high fever that is being very stubborn...praying an ER trip isn't necessary later this evening...so this will have to do...)

I saw this quote yesterday, and it really struck a chord with me:

“In a child's eyes, a mother is a goddess. She can be glorious or terrible, benevolent or filled with wrath, but she commands love either way. I am convinced that this is the greatest power in the universe.” 
― N.K. Jemisin

I don't believe that motherhood is THE greatest power in the universe, but I do believe it's a greater power than we believe it to me in the humdrum, daily grind of parenting. 

The quote choked me up because it reminded me of all the days that I am "horrible" and "filled with wrath." I have a lot of days where I feel overwhelmed and don't manage the stress well. Sometimes I yell. I'm impatient a lot. Sometimes I'm not fair. But in spite of my many flaws, my kids still love me and seek my love and approval. That's a privilege and responsibility that makes me shake in my shoes.


I guess my answer to the question "what do you do?" is: I try. 


I try to:


-Live "in the moment."

-Really listen to my kids, even when I'm tired and they're not making sense.
-Be patient.
-Not worry too much. (Hard for me.)
-Have fun with my kids.
-Be creative.
-Keep everyone healthy.
-Be a good example.

I fail all the time. But I never, ever want to stop trying.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note! I'd love to hear from you!